Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 10!

Wow, I've already been here 10 days! We are so busy that each day flies by, making it harder and harder to remember there is a world outside of Ocean City. As our project director says, "time moves differently on the island". As silly as that sounds, it's so true! So sorry for abandoning you all and failing to post updates often.
PRAISES - Ten people have committed their lives to Christ! PRAISE GOD! Numerous people have stopped in our front yard while walking by (looking for a party), leaving 20 minutes later changed. I've watched people go from yelling inappropriate things about Jesus one minute to bowing their heads asking for Jesus to take control of their lives the next. God continues to blow my mind and I'm sure there is MUCH more of that to come. So please join us in praying for our new brothers and sisters and for the hearts of those that we will interact with over the next 8 weeks.
I started work this week! My schedule was all over the place because of training, but next week it will hopefully be more consistent. The people I work with are so sweet and fun, but clearly hurting. It's been fun to get to know them a little and for them to open up and tell me about their lives almost immediately. I need to constantly remind myself that though my job may be to wait on tables or run room service, my occupation is Jesus and sharing Him with those I work with. I'm not working there to make money or have tons of fun, but to share Jesus with my coworkers.
One of the many things we discussed this week was during women's time last night. We talked about the lies that women believe (I'll never be good enough, I won't be beautiful until I'm thin, I won't be satisfied until I'm married) and how these lies hold us in bondage. What does Jesus say to this? Look at John 8 - 31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." So why do women not feel the freedom we have in Christ? Why do we still believe the lies that satan feeds us? We listen to the lie, dwell on the lie, believe the lie, and act on the lie....and then we're in bondage. But there is freedom!! Listen to the TRUTH, dwell on the TRUTH, believe the TRUTH, and act on the TRUTH. But what is truth? In John 14:6 Jesus says He is the way and the truth and the life. So turn to JESUS, meditate on His Word, and experience the freedom you have in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment